Friday, March 16, 2012

Let's Toast to Spring!

Hello there, my cocktail (and mocktail) loving friends! I have to tell you, I’m super excited today. Can you guess why? Dun, dun, dun. Oops, nope. It’s not because Saint Patty’s Day is tomorrow (although I am pretty excited about that too). It’s because the first day of spring is next week (woot!)!!

I’m already really stoked about the daylight savings change that has the sun shining well into the 7-o’clock hour, but on Tuesday, the deal is sealed: it will officially be spring (can I get another woot?)! I absolutely cannot stand the cold New York winters that I’ve had to deal with for my entire life. I say, enough is enough. Actually, I shouldn’t complain too much because this winter has been pretty mild (we’ve been lucky), but I’m still sooooo glad to see it go.

In honor of the first day of spring, I wanted to highlight a few spring cocktails that I’m looking forward to sipping very soon. Possibly next week. And, yes. Maybe all of them. I’m that excited. Although, I’ll probably have to make a few of them as mocktails or it’ll be a rough week.

1. Margarita – No, it isn’t Cinco de Mayo yet, but why reserve such a great drink for just one day? I love the idea of sitting on the veranda of a Mexican cantina sipping margaritas. Who can’t get behind that? Margaritas also bring me back to a simpler time. I was in school learning how to become a nutritionist (a degree that I wouldn’t use much later in life, but that’s another story), and I lived in a tiny apartment over a Mexican restaurant. Let’s just say I had my share of this salt-rimmed beverage.

2. Cherry Blossom Tini – It’s almost time for the cherry trees to bloom, so why not celebrate the occasion with this sake-based cocktail? I’ve never tasted this one, myself, but it sounds quite yummy.

3. White Sangria – Sangria is so easy to make, and I love that it incorporates fresh fruits into the mix. What better way to ring in the spring season than with a white sangria toast?

1 comment: