Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Magical Mojito

Ah, the mojito. I’d be lying if I said it was my absolute favorite drink, but there’s definitely something special about that minty tropical libation. I can still vividly remember the first mojito I ever had. Okay, so it was only a few years ago, but it was a magical time nonetheless. Let me go muddle us a few mojitos, and I’ll tell you all about it.

It was a hot but rainy September afternoon in South Beach. My boyfriend (at the time; husband now) and I were in Miami for a long weekend. It was his birthday, so we had something to celebrate (as if we need a reason to celebrate). Anyway, because of the rain and impending hurricane, South Beach was a ghost town. But, a little rain wasn’t enough to dampen our fun. Heck, no.

We wandered around town, taking in the sites between the raindrops, until we reached a little place called Mojitos. There was no one there, but there was no one anywhere, so it didn’t really matter. We took a table outside under the ample canopy and ordered us up some mojitos. We were both mojito virgins, so we didn’t know exactly what to expect. The mint and lime were so fresh-tasting, and the sugar cane garnish added an extra jolt of sweet that just made the drink amazing.

After some time, the owner came out and struck up a conversation. He talked about how he came to own this place, visions for improvements and the history of the mojito. Once he heard these were our first mojitos, he insisted we also try a flavored version, which he immediately had the bartender whip up for us and presented them “on the house.” Maybe it was the alcohol; maybe it was the fact that we had the entire town to ourselves, but it will always stick out in my mind as a truly magical moment. We were young; we were in love; and we had mojitos. What more could you ask for?

This was my first mojito, but I know now it’s the best I’ll ever have. I wish I had the recipe to recreate that exact cocktail, but alas, I do not. Instead, I’ll share with you my favorite basic mojito recipe, and a mocktail version for those who want to avoid the rum.

The cocktail version can be found at All Recipes, and the mocktail can be found at Rachel Ray's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment